Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Disable UAC prompts on Windows 10 and still have metro apps working

Not from me but from http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/12065-cant-open-any-windows-app-uac-disabled-2.html#post557465

04 Feb 2016 #11
Greg R

This fix worked for me

Hello,
I disabled UAC and when I try to open Edge, Calculator, etc I get a window message that says that I cant open it with UAC disabled, I find it something very annoying that makes me think about going back to Windows 7, is there any around this?
In Windows 7 for example, I was able to open the calculator with UAC disabled.
Thanks!
I have a fix that will allow you to still keep UAC enabled, provide no prompting for a user, while still being able to run all Metro apps - calculator, Edge, weather, news, calendar, etc
Either through Group Policy or Local Security Policy
Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\SecuritySettings\Local Policies\Security Options
User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account = Enabled

User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode = Prompt for Credentials
Next, make some registry changes ....
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Make the following changes
ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin 0x00000003 becomes 0x00000000

ConsentPromptBehaviorUser 0x00000003 becomes 0x00000000

EnableLUA 0x00000001 stays at 0x00000001
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\UIPI
Change (Default) from the (value not set) to 0x00000001(1)
Reboot your Windows 10 machine and enjoy all the metro apps that require UAC/escalation without the nags

 Remember to reboot first!

No comments:

Post a Comment